What Next?

We understand that many LGBTQ teens may need to "grow-up quickly" as a result of their life situations. Even for adults, navigating the world of government and local programs, documentation and resources can be challenging. How do I apply for a drivers license, get a bus pass, find food or safe shelter? Where can I publicly access the internet, get my GED, how do I open a checking account? We've compiled a list of local and federal resources to help guide you through the process of accessing the information you.


Driver's License or Permit

Visit the Oregon Department of Transportation to read more about applying for your Driver's License or Permit. When you visit you will need to provide proof of your current full legal name, your legal presence in the U.S., your identity, your date of birth, and your Social Security Number (SSN). If your address has changed since you were last issued a card, you must bring proof of your current residence address. All documents presented as proof must be original or certified copies from the issuing agencyReview the acceptable proof of identification list here.

When applying for a license or permit for the first time, you will be required to pass a vision test, a knowledge test ($5), and a driving test ($9). Find the study guide for the knowledge test here.

After you have met all the requirements, there will be a $60 fee for issuing your license.

ID Cards

The Oregon Department of Transportation issues non-driving identification cards to residents of all ages. The process required to receive an ID card includes completing an application, providing proof of full legal name, identity, birth date, and residence, as well as your SSN. There is a $44.50 fee for issuing an original ID card.

Changing your Gender Marker on you DL or ID

You may request to change the sex designation on your driver license or ID card when you apply to renew or replace your existing card. Here's how.

Vital Records

Replacing Vital Records

You can request copies or certified copies of vital records such as your birth certificate, Social Security Cards, marriage certificates, and death certificates from the state in which these events occurred. Some of these documents may be required as proof of identification to receive a driver's license or ID Card. Each state has their own procedure and fees. Read more about replacing vital records in any state here.

Oregon Birth Certificate (replacement)

The Oregon Vital Records Office, known as the Center for Health Statistics (CHS) is responsible for issuing certified copies of vital records for events that occurred within the state of Oregon. Birth certificates are the primary documents used to establish identity. There are several options for ordering copies of your birth certificate.

California Birth Certificate (replacement)

The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Vital Records only accepts orders via mail. There is a form to complete and return with a $25 payment when requesting documents. Additionally, a sworn statement must be notarized when requesting an authorized copy of your birth certificate needed to establish your identity.

Obtaining a Passport

How do I apply for a Passport?

The U.S. Passports & International Travel office has an overview of the process. Generally, you will need to complete and submit a form, provide proof of identity, have your passport photo taken, and pay a fee. Where and how you do this depends on the time-frame in which you need your passport, read more here.

Also, you can visit your local Passport Office--there are two in the Medford, OR area.

 Where can I get a Passport Photo?

Walgreens, Costco, Target, Walmart, KINKOS, CVS, Passport Offices, Local Photo Studio


Bus System

Rouge Valley Transportation District (RVTD) is the public transportation provider in the Rogue Valley.  Their routes serve Medford, Ashland, Central Point, Talent, Phoenix, White City,  and Jacksonville. Check out their website for information on how to ride, fares, maps, & schedules.